I have had my Fjallraven Kanken No. 2 backpack for just a bit over a year and have used it for a variety of different occasions so thought I would share my thoughts on it. If you’re on the hunt for a everyday backpack, read on for my review!
- It is versatile enough to be used for work, for travelling, and just for daily use. It has a laptop compartment that fits a 13″ laptop perfectly.
- The handles on top are convenient and comfortable (especially the No. 2 as it’s made of smooth leather) for carrying. I find this very useful on crowded subways when I want to make space for others and take my bag off, but don’t want it to touch the ground.
- It is very light and packable, perfect to pack into your luggage for trips.
- The size is perfect – it doesn’t look big and bulky, but is actually surprisingly spacious as it’s a rectangular box-like shape so you don’t lose space on the top. I have packed my laptop, 2-3 outfits and my toiletries/essentials in there before.
- The two side pockets are extremely useful; it fits a small water bottle and umbrella on each side perfectly. The pockets are deep enough that you don’t have to worry about them falling out.
- The main compartment zipper goes all the way down, which makes it very easy to pack, unpack, or find anything.
- While I do love the leather on handles, the handle closure does start wearing down and fraying a bit after snapping and unsnapping the closure so often.
- The straps of the backpacks are not the most comfortable, as they are literally just two thing straps. They do sell attachable shoulder pads and have other kanken models that do have built-in shoulder pads, but the Kanken No. 2 itself does not.
- The small compartment has a cover over it that sometimes makes it hard to zip and find things.
- The laptop compartment is not padded, which personally doesn’t bother me much.
Overall, I love my Fjallraven Kanken No. 2. I use it almost everyday for work, on weekends as a day pack, and when travelling. For a backpack, it is definitely a little bit pricier (I was a lucky, lucky gal who received it for Christmas!), but if you have the budget and am looking for a cute yet versatile and sturdy backpack, I definitely recommend it.